Remembers Her Christmas Doll Bed
In 1929 I was six years
old, but I remember quite a few things from that era, especially growing up and never having too much.
What sticks mostly in
my mind was losing my money in the bank. I didn't quite understand why that bank had to close and take my money, which probably
was only a few dollars. When they started paying off a few years later, my check was eleven cents. It helped when my brother
gave me his, which was eighteen cents, and my older sister's, which was twenty-three cents. I was really in the money then.
Beans were a common meal
and were often given to us by a farmer friend. What helped them along was the hot homemade bread. We usually had lots of homemade
cookies and cakes, too. But it was kind of great, going to family reunions and eating their "store bought" cookies and bread.
My mother would cook for hours and hours on a little wood-burning laundry stove. Summers, a three-burner kerosene stove was
used. I recall going to the gas station for ten cents worth of kerosene and can still smell the stink of it!
My dad was a carpenter
and farmer and did lots of things to keep us going. We lived in the small village of Imlay City, close to a family that owned
a cow. My dad milked her twice a day, fed her and cleaned the stall. In return we got two quarts of milk a day. With all the
canning my mother did from our garden, our weekly grocery bill wasn't that big. We only bought the bare necessities....
Christmas was an exciting
time, but there were never too many gifts. I got a doll bed one year with a doll and aluminum dishes. It was the best Christmas
I remember. (A couple of years later it dawned on me that my dad had made the bed.) We always had homemade candy and popcorn
balls. The lights on the tree were very difficult. If one burned out, the whole string would go out. So there you were with
a good bulb trying all the sockets until you found the burned-out one. When there was no money to buy extra bulbs, all you
had to do was break the bulb, twist the wires and screw the bulb back in the socket, being very careful if you didn't get
all the glass off....I was in high school in
1937 when the first strike in Flint occurred. I thought that was so terrible--men with good jobs, steady employment and making
good money putting their families through that.